Wednesday, July 22, 2009

I'm biting the bullet

OK, so I "officially" started potty training A on Monday.

By "officially" I mean that I am getting him to sit on the potty in the morning when he wakes up, in the afternoon when he wakes up from a nap, and before bedtime. I am trying to remember to ask him during the day also, but I'm having a harder time with that one!!!

Everyday he has sat on the potty at least twice and peed. One day he pooped. Two times he has told me he has to go potty, without me asking him, and has gone. He is still wearing a diaper... I'm easing both of us into this process. Once he gets the hang of it and is telling me more often that he has to "go," then we will transition to big boy undies.

I know in the parenting world there is much debate over whether or not to offer your child a reward for pottying. The great child psychologists all have a different opinion on this one. I have chosen the path of reward and so far it is working. I went to Target and stocked up on 0.99 matchbox cars and bought a bag of M&Ms. I'm going to alternate which treat he gets when he goes potty.

So we are just getting our feet wet with this potty training thing. I feel like I am totally unqualified to do this, which technically I am, considering I have never potty trained a child before.

So, all you mom's out there who have done this.... what worked best for you????

1 comment:

phillips phamily said...

Getting your feet wet!?! I hope NOT! Ha!

I'm not the one to ask. One is technically potty trained but she still has problems. I'm afraid to start the next one.

Better talk to someone with encouraging words. And quick!