Sunday, September 21, 2008

My Version of Chicken Pot Pie

I've been under the weather today with a sinus headache, so I made one of my dishes that I like to label "No Prep Time" for dinner.

I like to consider this a healthy version of Chicken Pot Pie. Its not Paula Dean by any means, but then again, I don't think you can use healthy in the same sentence as Paula Dean. This is so simple and fairly healthy and its a good little dish to have tucked in your back pocket for when you don't feel like cooking!

Ingredients:

1 lb chicken cut into 1 in. chunks (I use boneless/skinless tenders but you could use breasts)
1 can of cream of chicken soup (I use the reduced sodium)
1 8 0z package of cream cheese (I do use the regular)
1 1/4 cup of whole wheat pasta*
1 1/4 cup of frozen peas and carrots*
3/4 soup can of water, divided

Line an 8x11 baking dish with the pasta, peas and carrots, and chicken
Pour 1/4 of the water over
Mix the cream cheese, soup and remaining water and pour on top and spread evenly
Bake on 375 for 35 minutes
(About 20 minutes into baking, I take the casserole out and stir to mix everything together to bake for the remaining 15 minutes)

Enjoy!

*These are approximate measurements - I usually just eyeball it!

No comments: