Friday, September 19, 2008

Going Green!!!

Being a mommy has changed me in many ways...



  1. I can no longer watch Law and Order SVU

  2. I cannot listen to/watch the news regarding child abductions or hate crimes on children

  3. I drive more cautiously in addition to never talking on my cell phone while A is in the car with me or while I am driving on the interstate (even if I am alone)

  4. I am more aware of the condition of our environment that my child has to live in and my personal affect on that condition

  5. I am more aware of the foods and chemicals that I bring into my home

About a year ago, T and I started a "green" movement within our home. First it started with recycling and is slowly expanding into other areas. Little by little we are making changes to reduce the chemicals we are emitting in our air and help preserve our natural resources. We have started turning off the water while we brush our teeth, turning off lights when we leave the room, buying aerosol free products, walking vs driving when reasonable, using compact fluorescent lightbulbs, etc.


T is currently making his own "compost" for the yard. Its brewing now in a big Rubbermaid storage container in the back yard. If you are ever at my home and open up my refrigerator to see a bag full of coffee grounds, banana peels and other food scraps, that's what its for :) I have stopped using the best hairspray ever because it is only available in aerosol form. I feel the pain from that everyday when I am fixing my hair :( If anyone has a recommendation for a strong-hold, non-aerosol hairspray, please let me know!!!!

Anyway, this post is not intended to pat our own backs, but to give you some insight into what is going on with us and pass on some useful things I have found! What I wanted to share with you today is a recipe for a chemical-free, all natural, all-purpose cleaning solution I have been using for a couple of months. I am a clean freak and have been perfectly satisfied. Plus, it doesn't streak or leave a filmy residue. I even mop my floors with this.


This isn't a new invention, but an old tried and true cleaning solution. I just found out about it and wanted to pass along to others who may not have been aware. Its 4 parts water to 1 part vinegar. The vinegar is diluted enough that it doesn't leave a strong vinegary odor.


Its cheaper than most solutions on the market and we don't have to worry about our kids breathing in harmful chemicals that can cause respiratory problems.

If you're worried about the odor or aren't ready to make you own cleaning solution, Clorox has an all-natural product called "Green Works" that I have used and been satisfied with as well.

Please give it a try if you feel led and let's give our kids clean air to breathe and protect the earth our Lord created!!!


Ok... I'll stop now. Beware.. I may be turning into a tree hugger!



3 comments:

phillips phamily said...

i cannot, cannot, watch a show about child abuse/ child sexual abuse. this week there was a tivo'ed oprah that got immediately deleted b/c i can't stomach it anymore. especially dateline predator. yuck!

~Brittany~ said...

i agree with the vinegar cleaner, i've been using it for a while and it also works really well to get out pet odors! during a thunderstorm cairo had an accident on the hardwood floors and i immediately cleaned it up, but whenever i walked over that spot, i continued to smell urine. our vinegar solution is the only thing that got the smell out of the hardwood. it's also great for cleaning out the buildup in the coffee pot and microwave. another great tip for pet odors is to sprinkle baking soda on your carpet or rugs and let it sit for about 15min and then vacuum. a great, inexpensive, effective way to to freshen up your home. :-) ps. i'm proud of my soon to be tree hugging big sista!

Lou Lou said...

We have been living a more green lifestyle for a few years so this past year I have taken it tomy workplace. We now recycle cans, plastic and paper, only run the dish washer when completely full (seems obvious) and I removed paper towels- which turned into a revolt so I had to bring them back :(- next it to ban plastic water bottles!! wont they hate that. I am going to try the vinegar and water- thanks for the tip.